NEWS AND INFORMATION
VOLUME 23, NO. 1
Radon Testing For Peace Of Mind
Colorless and odorless, naturally occurring radon gas seeps into homes from underground. Exposure to dangerous levels of radon can be harmful to your family's health. Here's what you need to know:
- Radon is the #2 cause of lung cancer after smoking.
- Radon can cause cancer in pets, too.
- Illness from radon exposure is preventable if measures are taken to reduce high levels in the home.
- An estimated 1 in 15 homes in the US and Canada has an elevated level of radon.
- Any home can have a radon problem - old or new, drafty or snug, with or without a basement.
The only way to know if a home has excessive levels of radon is by testing. Your Pillar To Post Home Inspector conducts radon testing using continuous monitoring technology, then reports on results and recommends steps to reduce excessive radon levels if found.
Keep your family safe and schedule a radon test for your home today.
Take a Time Out
Need to create some space in your life for yourself? Here are some ideas to get started.
- Early riser: Try getting up earlier than the rest of your family and use the quiet time for yourself, especially on the weekends.
- Take turns: If possible, designate another family member to prepare dinner at least once a week. They'll learn a lot - and you'll enjoy the results. Have them clean up, too!
- Take the long way home: Drive a different route home from work or errands. You're bound to notice something new and interesting along the way.
- Turn off: Shut down your devices way before bedtime and avoid social media all night. You won't miss a thing!
4 New Year's Resolutions for Your Home
Whether it's deciding to take a class, stick to a budget, or to finally drop those stubborn 15 pounds, we're full of ideas on how we can make ourselves and our lives better in a new year. Because your home is such an important part of your life, why not make some resolutions for it as well?
1. KEEP CURRENT ON ROUTINE MAINTENANCE
Catching maintenance problems early can help you avoid larger issues down the road. What's now a minor plumbing or roof leak can cause major problems if not detected and fixed promptly. Check around the home for cracked or peeling paint, have the chimney and fireplace inspected and cleaned, and make sure the driveway, walkway and patio surfaces aren't cracked or lifting.
2. UPDATE YOUR HOME INVENTORY FOR INSURANCE PURPOSES
If you're like many homeowners, it's probably been a while since you've reviewed your home insurance policy and reassessed the value of your home's contents. Your insurance provider likely has tools available to help you organize and record your inventory, or try a home inventory app. Should you need to make a claim for property loss or damage, a current inventory can help make the process and accurate valuation easier.
3. AUDIT FOR ENERGY SAVINGS
Make sure windows and doors are caulked and in good repair; this will save energy in both winter and summer. If you're planning to replace any appliances this year, shop for and compare efficient, energy-saving models, preferably with Energy Star certification. Your local utility provider may even offer rebates for certain energy-efficient major appliances.
4. CREATE A FIRE SAFETY PLAN FOR YOUR FAMILY
Everyone knows the importance of having a plan in place should a fire occur in your home. But each year, tragedy strikes home and families who didn't think about it or who vowed to make a plan "one of these days." The basics include working and properly installed smoke alarms, appropriate fire extinguishers, and making an escape plan for every room. Your local fire department is an excellent resource for creating a plan designed to keep you and your loved ones safe.
The Ultimate Home InspectionTM
Pillar To Post Home Inspection Packages include even more exclusive and innovative features than ever. These new services deliver speed, ease and convenience, getting you to closings faster, saving you time, and delighting your clients.
Standard with every Home Inspection:
Interactive 360° Visual Inspection Summary
- Brings the inspection report to life
- Includes every room and the exterior
- Accessible any time
Powered by PunchList
Cost estimate for Inspection Summary items
- Learn what recommended repairs will cost
- Estimate based on local costs
- Request an estimate with just a click
Also included with Premium and Prestige Packages:
An accurate floor plan of the entire home
- Use to determine furniture fit and placement
- Share dimensions with contractors for estimating
Powered by Centriq
The digital owner's manual for the home
- Download user manuals/warranty information
- Find safety recalls on appliances
- Indicated age and useful remaining life of systems
*Where available. Not all services are offered by every office. Each office is independently owned and operated.